Friday, February 10, 2012

"Old Fashioned" Olive Hors D'oeuvres

A few notes from the provider of the recipe:
This is a real 50's cocktail recipe!  But delicious and different.
Great because you can make ahead and freeze for when you need them. 
It takes awhile to assemble, but it is kind of a Zen activity.




Good ole Trader Joe's, you can count on them for a $2.29 jar of olives with pimentos.


The first step is to drain the olives and then place them on a papertowel so that they are completely dry by the time you get to them.


In a large bowl place flour, and finely grated sharp cheddar cheese.   I made these Super Bowl Sunday morning and that morning I realized I didn't have the sharp cheddar cheese.  I was debating on going to the store first or giving the dog her good weekend morning walk.  So I then decided to walk the dog to the store.  We have a Vons that connects through our housing complex through a secret back entrance, and it is perfect distance to get a brisk morning walk in.   No doggies allowed in the Super market so she took a nice little break tied up to the newspaper stands outside while I ran in for my last minute items.  I was safe to assume there were no doggie snatchers out at 9am on a Sunday.


To those two items  you add in melted butter and get to a mixin'.

I started with a wooden spoon but quickly gave in and used my hands.  I think I washed my hands an extra 50 times this recipe because we had just watched the movie contagion on netflix instant the night before.   Germs were not going to get near me that morning.

I actually went back and thinned them all out, as I started out making them much too clunky and with too much puff on them.  I was able to use up all of my olives without any pastry left.
I realize now that I didn't stop to take many pictures at the end because it was hard to snap and then rewash the hands while doing such a hands on activity.   Plus we had company come over right as I was finishing.
Wish I had a final photo for you, I took these over to my dad's house and baked them and a lot of things were happenning at once and I didn't exactly have time for photos.   But you can use your imagination of a whole tray of thinned out olive's covered in cheddar pastry puff and golden brown.



Olive Cheese Puffs


Makes about 60 appetizers.


1 1/4 cups flour
2 cups finely grated sharp cheddar cheese/~8 oz.
1/2 cup unsalted butter-- melted
4-5 dozen pitted olives--well drained and dried with paper towel.


Mix all except the olives in a large bowl. Take a small amount of mixture and wrap it around an olive.


Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and place in the freezer until firm. Transfer to a zip plastic bag and store until ready to use.


To serve: Preheat oven to 400•. Place puffs on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and cooked through--about 15-18 minutes. Ready!


Notes: Figure 3-5 per person.


No comments:

Post a Comment