Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cauliflower Mash

In an effort to cut carbs in the later evening, I attempted a new twist on an old favorite.  Cauliflower mashed "potatoes."   I have made them twice now and they are super easy and good!

First break and wash the cauliflower bulb, then place the pieces in a microwave safe dish.
 
Add a few tablespoons of water into the bottom of the dish and cover with saran wrap.   Microwave until soft. 

A little off topic but, notice my new vintage rectangle baking pyrex dish...purchased at a very low price, a couple months ago, at the antique/flea market that I went to with my mom.

I sauteed garlic and shallots up in a small amount of olive oil, while the cauliflower were cooking in the microwave.   Throw the shallot mixture in with the cauliflower.

Actually I think this is the other vintage pyrex piece that I bought that same day.  It all started with my other 2 nesting bowls that I originally got from my grandmother's garage sale pile about 7 years back.  I have one more piece to go to complete my 4 piece nesting set, but the price has to be right ;)
Add some milk, as well as some salt and pepper. Now blend up your cauliflower.  I have a blender stick, Hand Blender, which was a great recommendation by my mother in law; I do use it all the time for soups and now mashes.  It also comes with a small food processor and whisk, which is handy too.   If you don't have the blender stick, you can use a food processor, a blender or good ole fashion arm muscle....  We are talking a mere 20 seconds here with the stick.
The second time I threw in a couple pieces of bacon at the end of the blend session, for good measure.
This was a very informal run through.  My main focus was my rumbling belly, not the proper picture or consistency, but you definitely get the picture, right?



Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"

1 head cauliflower
1 clove garlic (optional)
1/8 cup skim milk, plain yogurt, or good butter
Salt & pepper
Paprika
This is a great, low-carb alternate to mashed potatoes. I'm not a big fan of cauliflower, yet this tastes surprisingly good.
Steam cauliflower (optionally with a clove of garlic) until tender. Cut the cauliflower into pieces and place in a blender with the milk, yogurt or butter. Season with salt and pepper and then whip until smooth. Pour cauliflower into small baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and bake in hot oven until bubbly

Recipe above taken from  diabetes daily    
My photo version was really  prior to looking up the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment