Rinse your beans after soaking them for about 8 hours or overnight.
Here are the beauties in a water bath. Boil and simmer for 1.5 hours.
Here, I am prepping my ingredients while the beans cook.
Carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, chicken broth.
The juices of two lemons.
Now for the spices. Chili Powder, Hot Sauce (I used this local flare with a touch of garlic in lieu of the tabasco sauce), Oregeno, Thyme, Bay Leaves, Salt & Pepper
Quite the array of flavors...
Once the beans are approaching done, you can start to saute some onions, garlic and olive oil.
I cut the onions an hour or so back to get the task out of the way. I am a crier when it comes to cutting onions. I wore my husbands wrap around sunglasses and went for it. There were still many tears, I guess I am just that way...
They are starting to glissen and brown at the same time. The room also smells quite lovely at this point.
Once the beans are declared almost done, you remove half of the cooking water.
Add your onions to the bath.
And toss in your flavor packet... (I mean cup of fresh ingredients and spices)
Stir it up.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 40 minutes plus or minus.
We had already had an appetizer of fresh roasted red pepper relish on grilled toast (I had 2 red peppers, which I love, going semi limp in the fridge, so I roasted them and then decided what to do with them afterwards. I went to the "How to Cook Everything Cookbook" which was a first year anniversary gift from my husband's father and found this recipe in an instant) as an appetizer and then open faced turkey burgers with beets, avocadoes and tomoatoes as a meal. By the time the soup was declared done, we were already almost full so these went straight into containers.
This soup had amazing flavor. The hubs even gobbled it up, even though it was "heaven forbid" vegetarian.
Vegetarian 15 Bean Soup
By WindLass on December 23, 2009
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 2 hrs 45 mins
- Serves: 8, Yield: 1.75 cups
About This Recipe"I wasn't willing to trust the bean soup seasoning packet to be vegetarian so this is the seasonings I came up with. I'm a "pinch here, pinch there" cook so you may need to adjust the seasonings to your taste. When cooking the beans, make sure they are tender before adding any acidic ingredients like tomatoes or lemon juice."
- 1 7⁄8; lbs 15 bean soup mix (29 oz. Bob's Red Mill 13 bean soup mix bag is at most grocery stores or I had just purchased the soup from the bulk aisle)
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 tablespoons lemon juice ( about 2 lemons worth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon salt
- Soak beans overnight, or at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Cook beans in water until just tender by simmering on the stove in 2 qts. water for 1 1/2 hours. (Can also cook in slower cooker or pressure cooker.).
- Shortly before the beans are done, saute onion and garlic in oil until slightly brown.
- When beans are done, drain half the cooking water.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, for 40-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Page 2 of 2Vegetarian 15 Bean Soup (cont.)
- Serve with crusty bread or popovers.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.8
- Calories from Fat 18