Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year Everyone.  I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to a new year with new memories and new experiences.  I was reminded by a speaker on New Year's Eve that this year will hold new challenges, new opportunities, and new problems.  How we handle them and grow from them, are an important part of how our year will turn out.

What are you hoping to get out of 2012?  What are you planning to get out of 2012?  What goals, mini goals, and plans have you put into place to make that happen?  Where will you be 365 days from now and what will you have accomplished that is progress from today?  


I came acrossed this little chart in a magazine, and it struck me as profound.  Hopefully this will serve as motivation for all and as a fun read.



It talks about how even a little exercise improves your well-being, but the benefits multiply as you rack up more time.  Make every minute count, see where your weekly tally falls on this health - o - meter.

Weekly Tally-

90 minutes to Live Longer:  Get moving for just 15 minutes six days a week and you'll increase your lifespan by three years, according to a Taiwanese study.

135 minutes to Feel Happier:  Working out boosts your energy and reduces stress.  Plus, a Duke University study found that 45 minutes of cardio three days a week may be as effective as prescription drugs for treating depression.

150 minutes to Strengthen your Ticker:  Research published in Circulation found that 2.5 hours of exercise lowers a woman's risk of heart disease by 14 percent.

210 minutes to Prevent Diabetes:  Research in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport showed that this amount of exercise improves blood sugar control, which can halt the onset of type 2 diabetes.

275 minutes to Drop Pounnds:  A healthy diet along with 55 minute workouts five days a week may help you lose 10 percent of your weight- and keep it off- according to a studay in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

Shape Magazine, January 2012


Those stats are astonishing to me.  The first one alone is enough to get anyone thinking and to get me out on the street pounding the pavement.   I think I may post this article up somewhere in plain sight to help me kick off this year on the right foot. 

New Years Resolutions:   One of my resolutions for 2012 is that I am going to get in more yoga time and more running.   I already walk a lot but it is time to take it up a notch.  What were yours?

Thanks for joining me in this new year on a journey through 2012.

Eat Well and Play Well~

No comments:

Post a Comment